Peter H. Tyedmers
Professor & Director
Contact informationSchool for Resource and Environmental Studies
6100 University Ave, Suite 5010,
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- BSc, University of Waterloo
- LLB, University of British Columbia
- PhD, University of British Columbia
Professor Tyedmers’ research interests include better understanding and improving the sustainability of food systems, the sustainability implications of lifestyle choices and the impact of technological substitutions. He is particularly motivated to critically examine choices that we make in the name of sustainability to help ensure that we are indeed moving in a positive direction.
- Troell, M., R. Naylor, M. Metian, M. Beveridge, P. Tyedmers, C. Folke, K. Arrow, S. Barrett, A-S. Crépin, P. Ehrlich, Å. Gren, N. Kautsky, S. Levin, K. Nyborg, H. Österblom, S. Polasky, M. Scheffer, B. Walker, T. Xepapadeas, A. de Zeeuw (2014) Does aquaculture add resilience to the global food system? Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.
- Parker, R.W.R. & P. Tyedmers (2014) Fuel consumption of global fishing fleets: Current understanding and knowledge gaps. Fish and Fisheries.
- Wilson, J., J. Spinney, H. Millward, D. Scott, A. Hayden & P. Tyedmers (2013) Blame the Exurbs, not the Suburbs: exploring the distribution of greenhouse gas emissions within a city region. Energy Policy. 62:1329-1335.
- Point, E., P. Tyedmers and C. Naugler (2012) Life Cycle Environmental Impacts of Wine Production and Consumption in Nova Scotia, Canada. Journal of Cleaner Production. 27:11-20
- Pelletier, N. & P. Tyedmers (2011) An ecological economic critique of the use of market information in life cycle assessment research. Journal of Industrial Ecology. 15(3): 342-354.
Selected awards and honours
- 2008 Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Management, Dalhousie University
- SUST 3000 Global Environmental Decision-Making (with Daniel Rainham)
- ENVI 5031/MGMT 4031 Economics for Resource and Environmental Management
- ENVI 5205/MGMT 4205 Law and Policy for Resource and Environmental Management
Service & Activity
- Scientific Advisory Board Member, Seafood Watch Program, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, CA, USA.