Why Choose Social Work?
Gain knowledge and experience in how to help individuals, families and communities, and promote policy to provide a better environment in which to live. The School of Social Work's vision is a commitment to building a socially just society, defined as one that upholds and validates the values of equality, diversity, inclusiveness, democracy and concern for human welfare. We manifest and advance curricula, scholarship and school culture that are congruent with those values. Learn more about the profession of Social Work.
The School of Social Work is located on the third floor of the Mona Campbell Building which is situated on the corner of Coburg Road and LeMarchant Street.
School of Social Work
1459 LeMarchant Street, Suite 3201
PO Box 15000
Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
Main Office Telephone: 902-494-3760
Fax: (902) 494-6709
E-mail for general inquiries: email@example.com
Faculty & Research
Our professors engage and challenge students to develop their skills, emphasizing social policy, professional values, theoretical perspectives, and practice methods. Learn more about our faculty and their research specializations.
School of Social Work Continuing Education
View our current schedule of professional development workshops. Everyone is welcome.
Social Work News
- We congratulate Dr. Merlinda Weinberg, winner of a Senior Fellowship on Ethics in Social Work. She has been awarded a Senior Fellowship at Durham University, under the Durham International Fellowships for Research and Enterprise Scheme. Durham University is one of the world top 100 universities, ranked fifth in the United Kingdom. Dr. Weinberg will be a scholar-in-residence for three months in 2017, collaborating with Dr. Sarah Banks on research and a book manuscript, the topic of which is contextual ethics in social work. The prize is valued at approximately £20,000.
- Plan to attend RACISM: Immigrant Perspectives on Wednesday, May 11 at 7:00 p.m. at the Scotiabank Theatre, Sobey School of Business, Saint Mary's University. Free Admission. For more information, go to: http://www.ccepa.ca.
- Dr. Sasha Kondrashov successfully defended his dissertation for his Ph.D. in Social Work, on March 9th at the University of Manitoba. His research is entitled 'Social Work Educators’ Perceptions of Instructor Characteristics, Student Characteristics, and University Supports Critical for the Creation of an Effective Learning Environment in Social Work Education’. Congratulations Sasha! Read the abstact [50 KB].
- Social Work student, Maya Fry, is making a difference at Dalhousie's School of Social Work Community Clinic. Read more at Dal News.
- We applaud Dr. Wanda Thomas Bernard on her appointment as Special Advisor, Diversity and Inclusiveness. Read more at Dal News.
- "Congratulations, Fred, on your Order of Canada appointment. This is a well deserved achievement for all of your hard work and dedication to social issues over the years, particularly your work and research with various Aboriginal communities. Well deserved!"
~ Judy MacDonald, Interim Director of the School of Social Work
Read more in Dal News and the Faculty of Health Professions E-News.