Paediatric General Practice Residency
The Paediatric General Practice Residency is a one-year accredited program offered by the IWK Health Centre Dental Department, in conjunction with the Faculty of Dentistry's division of paediatric dentistry, which is part of our Department of Dental Clinical Sciences.
The program offers new dentists an opportunity to enhance and advance their clinical skills and training in paediatric dentistry. Currently, there are only three accredited GPR programs in Canada focused on paediatric dentistry. We are the only accredited facility east of Montreal.
The IWK is the teaching and tertiary health care centre for the Maritimes, and a quaternary care centre for the Atlantic provinces in children's health. The hospital's patients represent the most complex of medically compromised children, many with acute oral health care needs.
- a DDS or DMD from a CDAC-accredited program or reciprocal degree from an accredited institution, eligibility for student licensure in Nova Scotia, and a NDEB certificate
- a minimum mid-B average during the student's undergraduate coursework
- if English is not your first language, a demonstrated ability to communicate and write in English (consistent with the entry requirements of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, e.g. TOEFL >600, or computer-based TOEFL minimum of 250). Where TOEFL is not available, the following tests will be accepted. MELAB (minimum score 90); and IELTS (minimum score 7).
- displayed interest and aptitude in paediatric dentistry in the undergraduate curriculum, as displayed by marks in second and third year paediatric dentistry and, in the case of a graduate dentist, fourth-year paediatric dentistry
- two letters of reference regarding the candidate's character and suitability for the residency program, submitted directly by the referees
- Acceptance into all programs within the Faculty of Dentistry and the School of Dental Hygiene is normally conditional upon receipt of a completed immunization/CPR record [PDF 229 kB].
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have attended, forwarded directly to the Registrar's Office by the issuing institutions.
- a current curriculum vitae must be included
- a letter of intent
The following are not prerequisites for admission, but are considered helpful:
- results from the GRE, if you have not graduated from a Canadian university
- abstract from a thesis and/or copies of papers published or in preparation
How to apply
The application deadline is September 30 of the year before the program begins. The application fee is $70. Two residents per year will be accepted to the program. It is in the applicant's best interest to apply well in advance of the deadline.
Applicants must also register with the National Match Program by October 1 and follow the process carefully. This program is listed in Phase 1, General Practice Residency (Canadian) section, under the Izaak Walton Killam Health Centre, Halifax.
The program begins in mid-June. Residents are paid a competitive stipend, including three weeks of paid holidays. Residents are required to pay their student license fees, Nova Scotia Dental Association fees, and CDSPI malpractice insurance.
For more information about this program, please contact the IWK Dental Department administrative assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the application form [PDF 188 kB].
It is recommended that a hard copy or electronic copy of the application and all supporting material be forwarded to:
Pamela Reed, Dentistry Department
IWK Health Centre
5850/5980 University Avenue
PO Box 9700
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada