Associate Professor; Canada Research Chair in European Studies
PO BOX 15000, Halifax, NS B3H 4R2
- Irish studies
- Canadian literature
- Modernist literature
- Film studies
- European studies
- Minority languages
- Quebec cinema
- BA (Oregon)
- MA, PhD (Alberta)
I am interested in film and literature generally, and especially from “small” or marginal cultures. I’m also interested in documentary and avant garde filmmaking practices. I have particular interest in cinema in Ireland, Catalonia, Quebec and Canada, and Switzerland, and in modern Irish literature (1900 forward, basically). At the moment I’m working on a book-length study of Irish literature in both English and Irish, a collection of the writings of the experimental filmmaker Stan Brakhage for the magazine Rolling Stock, a series of articles on Catalan filmmakers that may or may not morph into a book, and on Georgian cinema.
I teach courses on cinema and literature, as well as in European Studies generally. In my cinema courses I try to focus on Canada, Quebec, Western Europe and the post-colonial world, as well as on non-standard forms (documentary, avant garde, etc.). I also enjoy teaching introductory surveys of film history and film theory, and have done this at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In literature I tend to focus on Western Europe, and I am also interested in general issues in world literture and literary theory.
- Two Bicycles: The Work of Jean-Luc Godard and Anne-Marie Miéville. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2013.
- Re-visioning Europe: The Films of John Berger and Alain Tanner. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2011.
- The Radio Eye: Cinema in the North Atlantic, 1958-1988. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2009.
- [edited with Marie Carrière] Transplanter le Canada : Semailles / Transplanting Canada: Seedlings. Edmonton: Canadian Literature Centre / Centre de littérature canadienne, 2009.
- Of This Place and Elsewhere: The Films and Photography of Peter Mettler. Toronto / Bloomington: Toronto Film Festival / Indiana University Press, 2006.
[Catalogue for the Mettler retrospective I assembled for Toronto Film Festival]
- [as editor, preface by Atom Egoyan] The Cinema of Canada. London: Wallflower Press, 2006.
- [edited with William Beard] North of Everything: English Canadian Cinema Since 1980. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 2002.
- “Informe General and the Missing Link of Third Cinema.” Screen 54:3 (Fall 2013).
- “A Catalan Gaze Upon Ireland: José Luis Guerin’s Innisfree.” CineAction #90 (2013).
- “Recovering Quebec Culture: The Feature Films of Bernard Émond.” American Review of Canadian Studies 43:2 (Spring 2013).
- “The Archival Situation of Georgian Cinema.” The Moving Image: The Journal of the Association of Moving Image Archivists 14.1 (Spring 2014)
- "Sauver le Québec, sauver l'Irlande: Jacques Ferron et l'effelquois atlantique." In Le Québec et l'Irlande: culture, histoire, identité (Quebec City: Septentrion, 2014)
- "Grierson in Ireland." In The Grierson Effect: Tracing Documentary's International Movement (London: British Film Institute, 2014)