Associate Professor, Fruit Horticulture
- M.Sc - Horticulture (Entomology), Agricultural University in Warsaw, Poland
- M.Sc - Horticulture (Plant Science), University of Alberta
- Ph.D - Plant Science (Agriculture), Agricultural University in Wageningen, The Netherlands
- Micronutrient management to increase yield of New York Muscat grapes - project # DEV29-041, Technology Development Program (NSDAF/Jost Vineyards), 2010-2012
- Alternative small fruit crops for organic production of fruit in Nova Scotia – project #DEV28-039, Technology Development Program (NSDAF/Small Fruit Growers), 2009-2011
- Apple, pear and cherry rootstock trials – NC140 group international, AAFC-AHRC Kentville/NSAC) - ongoing
- The use of DNA markers in protection of newly released ornamental hybrids - project #DEV26-045, Technology Development Program (NSDAF/MUN), 2007 - 2009.
- Plant Atlantic, Development of new and under-used plants for the Atlantic Canadian nursery, greenhouse and habitat remediation industry. Project funded by ACOA/AIF (MUN Botanical Garden), five years 2004 - 2009.
- PLSC0200 - Plant Propagation
- PLSC3000 - Theory and Practice of Plant Propagation.
- HORT0202/2007 - Small Fruit Crops
- HORT0203/2006 - Tree Fruits
- RESM4008 - Co supervisor
- AGRI5710 and AGRI5705
Advisory and consulting work with CESO-SACO (Canadian Executive Service Organization) in China (7 projects), Philippines (2 projects) and in India (2 projects) and in Ethiopia (1 project).
Supervision and co-supervision of students in RESM4008- Plant Science Project-Seminar at present, supervision of two MSc. students, 2006 - 2010
- Li J, Percival D, Hoyle J, White J, Head K, and Pruski K. 2016. Fruit Yield and Phenology of Native Fruits, Cloudberry / Bakeapple (Rubus chamaemorus L.) and Lingonberry / Partridgeberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.) grown in Southern Labrador, Canada. Can. J. Plant Sci. – in press
- Masny A, Pruski K, Żurawicz E, and Mądry W. 2016. Breeding value of selected dessert strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) cultivars for ripening time, fruit yield and quality. Euphytica 207: 225-243
- Li J, Percival D, Hoyle J, Yue J, White J, Head K, and Pruski K. 2015. Environmental effects on fruit composition of Bakeapple (Rubus chamaemorus L.) grown in Labrador, Canada. Can. J. Plant Sci. 95: 1167-1175
- Lewandowski M, Żurawicz E, and Pruski K. 2015. Effects of the growing season extension on Polish primocane-fruiting raspberry cultivars. Hort. Sci. 42: 203-208
- Sieczko L,Masny A, Pruski K, Żurawicz E, and Mądry W. 2015. Multivariate assessment of cultivars’ biodiversity among the Polish strawberry core collection. Horticultural Science (Prague), 42 (2): 83-93.
- Masny A, Pruski K, Madry W, Zurawicz E. 2014. Combining Ability Analysis in Various Strawberry Genotypes Used in Breeding Cultivars Tolerant to Verticillium Wilt. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. – submitted, under revision
- Sas-Paszt L, Pruski K, Żurawicz E, Sumorok B, Derkowska E, Głuszek S. 2014. The effect of organic mulches and mycorrhizal substrate on growth, yield and quality of ‘Gold Milenium’ apples on M.9 rootstock. Can. J. Plant Sci. – in press due in March 2014 issue
- Sas-Paszt L, Pruski K, Żurawicz E, Sumorok B, Derkowska E, and Głuszek S. 2014. The effect of organic mulches and mycorrhizal substrate on growth, yield and quality of ‘Gold Milenium’ apples on M.9 rootstock. Can. J. Plant Sci. 94: 281-291
- Szymajda M, Pruski K, Zurawicz E, and Sitarek M. 2013. Freezing injuries to flower buds and their influence on yield of apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.) and peach (Prunus persica L.). Can. J. Plant Sci. 93: 191-198
- Taylor, N, Hammermeister AM, Rupasinghe VP, and Pruski K. 2013. Characterization of Ribes nigrum in relation to fruit maturity and genotype. Acta Hort. 1001:199-205
- Hobson DW, Lynch DH, Pruski K, and Hammermeister AM. 2013. Fertility rate and timing effects on organic black currant growth and yield during establishment. Acta Hort. 1001:335-341
- Zurawicz E, Lewandowski M, Rutkowski KP, and Pruski K. 2013. Productivity of Selected Polish Scab Resistant Apple Cultivars Grown on Different Rootstocks. Acta Hortic. 976: 141-147
- Zurawicz E, Pruski K, Szymajda M, Lewandowski M, Seliga L, and Malinowski T. 2013. Prunus domestica „Jojo” – good parent for breeding of new plum cultivars resistant to plum pox virus. J. Agric. Sci. 5 (9): 1 – 5
- Szymajda M, Pruski K, Zurawicz E, and Sitarek M. 2013. Suitability of selected genotypes of Prunus armeniaca L. for harvesting seeds for the production of generative rootstocks for apricot cultivars. J Agric. Sci. 5 (9): 222 - 232
- Zurawicz E, Pruski K, and Lewandowski M. 2013. The Effect of Ethrel Application on Length of the Juvenile Phase of Apple Seedlings. J. Agric. Sci. 5 (8): 17 - 26
Books and Book Chapters
- Embree, C., Pruski, K., Hudings, J., Shaw, S., Baldwin, D., and Myra, M. 2012. One hundred apples & 100 pears, a collection of characteristics of 100 apples and 100 pears. AHRC-AAFC, Kentville; DAL AC (NSAC)/Truro Printing Services book publication. March 2012, pp. 55
- Pruski K. 2011. Development of in vitro protocols for PlantAtlantic, a plant development program for the Atlantic Nursery Trade in Canada. In: Essays on Agriculture and Environment. Eds. E. Maleviti and C. Stathopoulos. ATINER. Chapter 6: 45-57
Conference Presentations (articles and abstracts):
- Pruski K, von Kintzel S, Vissers P and Jost HC. 2012. Management of Boron and its influence on yield of New York Muscat grapes in Nova Scotia. VitiNord, Neubrandenburg, Germany (November 28 – December 1, 2012) – poster presentation
- Pruski K. 2011. A Canadian view on the raw materials and organic product market in CEE, European Organic Marketing Forum, Warszawa, Poland (May 26-27, 2011) – oral presentation
- Pruski K, Young RV and Wang W. 2010. In vitro propagation, organ regeneration protocols and DNA markers for new plants of PlantAtlantic development programme for the Atlantic Canada Nursery Trade. Abstracts Int. Horticulture Congress, Lisboa, Portugal (August 22 – 27), E-abstract vol.II #S09.51, p. 404 - oral presentation
- Pruski K. 2010. Fruit Horticulture and Tree Fruit Program at NSAC. Nova Scotia Fruit Growers Association Annual Convention (January 27-29, 2010) – oral presentation
- Pruski K. 2009. Development of in vitro protocols for PlantAtlantic, a plant development program for the Atlantic Nursery Trade in Canada. Abstracts ATINER Conference, Athens, Greece (August 28 – 31) p. 4 oral presentation
- Pruski K. 2006. Garlic Barrier® effectiveness in repelling root maggots in cabbage and aphids in potato. Proceedings Int. Workshop on Biodiversity Manipulation and Ecologically Based Pest Management, Wuyishan, Fujian China (August 15 – 19) p. 24 – 25 - oral presentation
- Pruski K, Sasaki K and Nichols W. 2006. PlantAtlantic - Ornamental Plant Development Program for the Atlantic Nursery Trade. Proceedings 11th IAPTC&B Congress, Beijing China (August 13 – 18, 2006) Abtr. P1533 p. 182 – poster presentation
- Pruski K, Daniels-Lake B and Prange R. 2006. Time to Emergence (ATE) and Stem Number of Potato Plants grown from Seed Tubers Treated with Ethylene and 1 – methylcyclopropene (MCP) During Storage. Proceedings of Joint Colloquium of the CSA / CSAS / CSHS. Halifax , NS Canada (August 1 – 5, 2006) Abstr. P121 p. 139 - oral presentation
- Pruski K. 2006. Impact of seed storage conditions on tuber size distribution in field production of potatoes. International Potato Processing/Storage Convention, Warszawa, Poland (June 27- 29, 2006) - oral presentation
- Pruski K. 2006. Ethylene enrichment: seed treatment. Innovation in potato storage workshop. IRES (Institute for Research on Environment & Sustainability), University of New Castle, UK (February 28 - March1, 2006) - oral presentation
Large number of research collaborations has been established in the region and internationally as reflected in the research grant received and publications. They include industry (GGANS – Grape Growers Association of Nova Scotia, NSFGA – Nova Scotia Fruit Growers Association, Cavendish Farms, McCain Foods, small fruit growers, tree fruit growers, potato growers), universities (Dalhousie, St. Mary’s), government (AAFC, NS Department of Agriculture), and abroad (Wageningen University, the Netherlands; FAFU – Fujhou, China; Research Institute of Horticulture, Skierniewice, Poland).