Organic Science Cluster I (2009-2013)
Canada’s Organic Science Cluster (OSC) ran from 2009-2013, and was a collaborative effort led jointly by the Organic Agriculture Centre of Canada (OACC) at Dalhousie University's Agricultural Campus and the Organic Federation of Canada (OFC). The Organic Science Cluster is part of the Canadian Agri-Science Clusters Initiative of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's Growing Forward Policy Framework and is supported by contributions from industry partners.
The goals of the Organic Science Cluster are to facilitate a national strategic approach to organic science in Canada, link scientists across the country and disseminate the knowledge generated to organic stakeholders.
The Organic Science Cluster identified 10 sub-projects, including 30 research activities that were conducted by over 50 researchers plus 30 collaborators in approximately 45 research institutions. Activities of the Organic Science Cluster included work in fruit horticulture, agronomy, cereal crop breeding, soil fertility management, vegetable production, greenhouse production, dairy production systems, parasite control in ruminants, environmental sustainability, and food processing.
This research came at a time when there was renewed emphasis on innovation, efficiency (energy, labour, economics), and capturing value-added markets. Most of this research directed toward organic agriculture can also be applied to conventional production systems, drawing interest to this cluster from producers across Canada.
For more information:
- Watch the video of the Announcement of the Organic Science Cluster.
- Read the press release [PDF - 502 kB] about the launch of the Organic Science Cluster.
- View a map [PDF - 930 kB] of Organic Science Cluster Research Activities across Canada.
- Watch "Organic is a Science" a short film about the Organic Science Cluster.
For more information about specific research activities:
- Subproject A: Biologically-based fertility management
- Subproject B: Integrated grain-based cropping systems
- Subproject C: Organic greenhouse production
- Subproject D: Integrated management of horticultural field crops
- Subproject E: Environmental stewardship and product branding
- Subproject F: High value fruit production
- Subproject G: Benchmarking the organic dairy production system
- Subproject H: Organic food processing
- Subproject I: Sheep parasite control
- Subproject J: Communication