Nutrient Management Planning Certificate‑ Online
Next offering - Winter 2017 - Dates TBA
This online certificate will provide training to nutrient management planners and those implementing nutrient management plans in Atlantic Canada.
What you will learn
- The use of nutrients in agriculture and the potential for impacts on the environment.
- Understanding the role of soil properties such as texture, organic matter and pH in influencing nutrient availability
- Practices for the utilization of nitrogen to enhance crop growth.
- Practices for the utilization of phosphorus to enhance crop growth.
- Understanding the methods used to sample and analyze soil, plant and fertilizer materials and their use in making soil nutrient management recommendations.
- Calculatations, using basic chemical principles, rates of fertilizers and amendments needed to correct plant nutrition problems in the field.
To receive the certificate a student will work at their own pace through eight online subject area modules (listed below), a nutrient management planning exercise in one of eight areas of application, and an examination. An in-class workshop on professional practice is recommended to attend but not mandatory.
- Environmental Impacts of Nutrient Use
- Basic Soil Science Concepts
- Nitrogen in Crop Production
- Phosphorus in Crop Production
- Potassium in Crop Production
- Lime and Liming Materials
- Diagnostic Tools
- Delivering Nutrient Management
Nutrient Management Plan Exercise (choose one)
- Field Crops
- Forage Systems
- Perennial Crops
- Biomass Crops
- Vegetable Crops
- Potato Production
- Organic Cropping Systems
- Forest Plantations
Students will have three months to complete this certificate. Students can assess their progress by successfully completing an electronically administered self- test at the end of each module. To complete the final module, the nutrient management exercise, a nutrient management plan will be submitted for assessment.
The certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of the examination and the nutrient management exercise.
Next offering will be in October 5th. Registration deadline September 26th.
$262.50 + Distance Ed Fee of $45 = $307.50
Please send your registration form Extended Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 902.895.5528
If you require further information please contact email@example.com or 902.893.6666