Summer Institute in Neurotechnology Innovation, Commercialization and Entrepreneurship (NICE)
The next NICE Summer Institute will be held August 8-19, 2016, in beautiful Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The NICE Summer Institute wants to teach you how to "think different" about the potential of neurotechnologies, like computer games and neuroimaging, to change the world and improve people's lives.
Are you a science trainee who is fuelled by passion and curiousity about neuroscience, but is frustrated by obstacles preventing your lab work from reaching people in the real world?
NICE is an intense 12 day experience designed to build your skills in innovation and communication. It includes a combination of lectures and workshops, and group work to develop an innovative solution to a problem in neuroscience. At the end of two weeks each group pitches their idea in a dragon's den style presentation to a panel of science and industry leaders.
NICE will teach you:
- To understand neurotechnology and its applications to the diagnosis and treatment of nervous system disorders;
- The process of innovation and product design, needs finding, needs screening, brainstorming, and prototyping;
- The core principles of intellectual property such as different types of patents, how patents are claimed and defended, and how intellectual property may be licensed;
- Understand and explain core concepts of how a business operates, sources of capital, market research, pricing, and management;
- To analyze an ethical issue raised by the use of neurotechnology in research or applied contexts;
- How to effectively communicate with different audiences - including scientists, clinicians, patients, journalists, lay people;
- Work productively with multidisciplinary teams.
NICE is open to science trainees and working scientists from around the world. Once accepted, however, you must register at Dalhousie University as a student. We will help you to do that. For more information on this, please contact us.
CEO & Grad of NICE - on how the Summer Institute gives you a real entrepreneurial advantage
We help you to attend
All successful applicants will be awarded a fellowship which will cover the costs of attending the Summer Institute, including tuition and lodging. Participants will be responsible for their own travel costs as well as any incidental costs.
Here's how to apply, the extended deadline is June 1, 2016!
To apply to the NICE Summer Institute, prepare and submit the following:
- A RADIANT NICE Application Form
- Current official transcript (graduate or undergraduate)
- Curriculum Vitae
- One letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your research experience and aptitude.
- As well, you may submit one additional reference letter that speaks to your experience and aptitude working in a commercial sector.
- A Letter of Permission from your home University
Complete applications are currently being accepted and reviewed for submission to NICE 2016. Space is limited to 25 applicants. The extended deadline for application is June 1, 2016.
Where to send your application and get help if you need it
Complete your application online, and email or mail your RADIANT NICE application form. If you have questions, contact the RADIANT Program Coordinator via email or phone at:
MAIL: RADIANT Program Coordinator
Dalhousie University, Psychology Department
1355 Oxford Street,