The following are the steps to get your email account ready to use.
- Activate your Dalhousie Account
- Install Outlook
- Create a Personalized Email Address
- Setup Outlook 2010 on your Desktop
- Setup your Novell Email Forward
- Move your Contacts to Outlook 2010
- Set up the Dalhousie Email Directory in Outlook
- Set up your BlackBerry to access your Dalhousie account
- The first step is to Activate your NetID account.
We recommend that you get an IT staff member to do the install of Outlook.
However if you already have Microsoft Office installed on your computer you can follow these instructions for how to install Outlook.
If you don't have Microsoft installed follow these instructions instead.
All Dalhousie email accounts are set up as NetID@dal.ca. It is recommended you create a Personalized Address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org. To do so visit http://its.dal.ca/services/email/personalized_email/ .
- If you choose one of the suggested addresses it will be active within 15 minutes.
- If you choose to create a custom address it will need to go through approval, which usually takes one business day.
Note: Please set the new Personalized Address to primary and visible.
- The instructions for Outlook 2010 Account Setup are available at http://its.dal.ca/services/email/email_clients/win-outlook/msoutlook.html
- Open your GroupWise desktop client and choose tools then choose rules.
- Choose New.
- A window will open then enter in a name for the rule. An example would be "Forward to Dal".
- Check both Received and Sent boxes.
- Under Item Types check Mail.
- Choose Add and then choose Forward...
- In the To box enter your new Dalhousie email address.
- Choose the Subject box but do not type anything.
- Choose OK
- Choose Save.
- The window will close.
- Choose Close on the next window.
Note: From now on all the emails you receive and send from your NSAC email account will be forwarded to your Dalhousie email account.
Note: Agricultural Campus students will continue to use the GroupWise system for email for the next academic year. Students are scheduled to be migrated to the central email system next year.
To move your Personal Address Book from a GroupWise client into Outlook is a two-step process.
- Export the Personal Address Book from GroupWise.
- Import the Personal Address Book into Outlook.
Export the Personal Address Book from GroupWise
- Start the GroupWise desktop client
- On the Tools menu choose Address Book
- On the File menu choose Export
- In the Export Question dialogue box choose Entire Address Book
- Start Outlook
- On the File menu choose Open then choose Import
- Choose Import from another program or file then choose Next
- Choose Comma Separated Values (Windows) and then choose Next
- Locate the .nab file from Export process above then choose Next
- Choose the folder you want to import your Personal Address Book into then choose Next
- Map the fields of your Contacts folder layout and choose Finish.
ITS provides a centralized Email and Telephone Directory for faculty and staff of the Dalhousie University community. To access the Email and Telephone Directory in Outlook you need to set it up first.
If you have a Blackberry and want to access your Dalhousie email account please contact the AC helpdesk for help with the configuration.
- You now have your Novell GroupWise account forwarding to your Dalhousie Email account so all your email is available to you in one location under Outlook 2010.
- Your GroupWise email archive is still available to you through GroupWise desktop client.
- Your GroupWise calendar is available to you through GroupWise.