Employee and Family Assistance Program
Providing support services and guidance to Dalhousie employees and their families
Dalhousie’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is available to all regular full-time and part-time employees and their eligible dependents. Services are delivered by the professional counsellors and work/life consultants employed by Shepell·fgi.
EFAP is available 24 hours a day to provide confidential assistance with concerns that affect an individual’s personal, family, and work lives or general well-being.
EFAP is a voluntary, confidential, short-term counselling and advisory service that connects employees and their eligible family members to a network of dedicated professionals. This network includes psychologists, social workers, addiction and career counsellors, childcare and elder care specialists, and legal and financial specialists. These professionals are ready and waiting to assist any time help is needed.
EFAP provides professional assistance for a wide range of issues, including:
- Financial concerns
- Legal issues
- Childcare issues
- Stress and anxiety
- Couple relationships
- Work related and career issues
- Alcohol and drug misuse
- Crisis counselling
- and more . . .
Info for Managers
Managers gain support for their role, including:
- mastering the use of EFAP services
- understanding the key challenges that leaders face
- recognizing the signs of an employee in trouble
- preparing for, and dealing with, employee performance issues
- dealing with other difficult employee-related situations
- using preventative tools to promote a healthy workplace
- accessing resources for Trauma or Critical Incidents
Confidentiality and privacy are assured, within the limits of the law, to each employee and family member who uses the service.