Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


Temporary Resident Visa / Entry Visa


If your TRV expires, you should apply for a new TRV in order to re-enter Canada. You can apply for a new TRV in your home country or at the Case Processing Pilot Office in Ottawa (CPP-O).You can now apply for a TRV online. Do not send your passport until you are asked to do so by CIC.

Online application

Step 1: Log into my CIC through GCKey or Sign-in partner

If you are a new user, you will need to register for MyCIC through GCKey or Sign-in Partner. Your Client ID from your Study Permit is required to complete the registration.

Step 2: Complete the ‘Come to Canada’ questionnaire

Complete the Come to Canada questionnaire and print (or write down) your personal checklist code.
You can find the guide to answering the questionnaire by logging into our myDal site

Step 3: Fill in the online application form and gather supporting documentation

  1. Complete the IMM 5257 Application form. Validate and save the form as an unsigned copy.

    You can find the guide to completing IMM5257 by logging into our myDal site.

  2. Gather the following supporting documents:
  • digital photo (420x540 pixels)
  • passport pages (only pages with stamps, visas, photos)
  • study permit or post graduate work permit (if applicable)
  • recent transcript (go to DalOnline)
  • proof of next term's enrolment- You can get Confirmation of Enrolment from DalOnline or the Registrar's Office for undergrad/ FGS for grad
  • proof of means of financial support (balance statement from bank)

Once you have all the documents ready, you should save them electronically, then upload IMM 5257 form and supporting documents.

Step 4: Pay the application fee

Pay theTRV renewal fee CAD $100 online with a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express). Please do not forget to print a receipt.

Step 5: Submit application and wait for CIC response

Save or print your confirmation of successful transmission for your records.

Once your application has been processed, CIC will send you an email and direct you to your "MyCIC" account to check your messages (uner "My Messages").

In your "My Messages", please print the CIC letter, then purchase two prepaid (32 x 24 cm and 26 x 16.5 cm)  Xpresspost—National envelopes at any Canada Post retail outlet.

Enclose one envelope in the other envelope along with your passport and CIC letter. This second envelope will be used to return your passport and new TRV to you.

Please mail your passport and letter to the following address:

To:   CPP – Ottawa 
P. O. Box 9640
Ottawa, ON, K1G 6T2

And write your Client ID, Application Number (found in you letter) and “TRV Application” on your envelope (white area above the mailing label).

Client ID: ######

Application: V######

“TRV Application”


Travel from the US

If you are returning to Canada following a visit solely to the United States there is an agreement between the U.S. and Canada that allows you to return to Canada without needing a TRV. You must be able to provide a valid passport and Study Permit, Work Permit, or Visitor Permit. For details on the TRV exemption policy see the section titled Division 5, Temporary Resident Visa Exemptions, section 190 (3) (f).

We recommend that you take a copy of this policy if you are visiting the United States and returning to Canada. It is strongly recommended, however, that you apply for the TRV especially if you are travelling by air. Airlines may not allow you to board the flight if you do not have a valid TRV.

Before leaving Canada

It may make entering the U.S. and/or returning to Canada easier if students can present proof of their relationship to Dalhousie at the customs. Students can get proof of enrollment for free from the Registrar Office for undergraduate students or from the Faculty of Graduate Studies for graduate students.

The International Student Health Plan or MSI offers very limited coverage outside of Canada. It is extremely important that you purchase supplemental health insurance when planning to visit the United States (or any country outside of Canada).

T. Inacio, Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant
ICCRC Membership # R511568