Welcome to Dalhousie! You've made a great choice!
Making the decision to attend university is a big step. It's an exciting time with lots of changes, challenges, and opportunities ahead. We're here to help you navigate the transition from high school to university life here at Dalhousie University.
One difference is the process to select and register for your courses. To help get you started, the navigation bar to the right lists pages with information on selecting your courses, registration and contact information for your Student Success Coaches.
Please contact us with any questions you have. We look forward to working with you! The First Year Advising Centre will be open for extended hours: June 3, 4, 5 (9:00am-8:00pm) and Saturday June 7th, 11:00am-5:00pm to assist new students with registration.
Have you received your acceptance package?
Every student admitted to Dal is accepted into a particular faculty and degree program. Each program has different requirements. Your acceptance package should tell you which degree program and faculty you are in.
If you are unsure about which degree program you are in, contact the Registrar's Office at: (902) 494-2450. You can also find information about degree options and when you need to declare your major in the Academic Advising section.
When to start choosing courses
You can visit the academic timetable and use your program worksheet and a blank schedule to develop a tentative schedule. Course registration for first-year students begins at noon on June 7, 2014 (AST).
Selecting courses and creating your schedule
Follow the steps below to find first-year courses to meet your degree requirements.
- Complete the pre-registration steps for all students in the Before You Begin section.
- Review your course requirement worksheet to help you identify first-year courses that meet your degree requirements.
- Read through course descriptions in the undergraduate academic calendar. Consider both your interests and your first-year degree requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with the academic timetable.
- Develop a tentative schedule by following the steps in the next section: Choosing Your Classes.
- Contact a Student Success Coach to review your schedule or to get help with choosing courses.
Take a moment to review some of the important terms you'll find throughout the course selection and registration process, or refer to this page when you encounter a term you don't understand.