Choosing courses in your first-year
When to start choosing courses
You can visit the academic timetable to develop a tentative schedule. Course registration for first-year students opens at noon on June 7, 2014.
Have you received your acceptance package?
Every student admitted to Dal is accepted into a particular faculty and degree program. Each program has different requirements. Your acceptance package should tell you which degree program and faculty you are in.
If you are unsure about which degree program you are in, contact the Registrar's Office at: (902) 494-2450. You can also find information about degree options and when you need to declare your major in the Academic Advising section.
Creating your schedule and what courses to take
Follow the steps below to find recommended first-year courses to meet your degree requirements.
- Complete the pre-registration steps for all students in the Before You Begin section.
- Download a program worksheet to help you select first-year courses that meet your degree requirements.
- Read through course descriptions in the undergraduate academic calendar. Consider both your interests and your first-year degree requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with the academic timetable.
- Develop a tentative schedule by following the steps in the next section: Choosing Your Classes.
- Contact a first-year advisor to review your tentative schedule or to get help with choosing courses.
Take a moment to review some of the important terms you'll find throughout the course selection and registration process, or refer to this page when you encounter a term you don't understand.