What is Your Grade Point Average?
Letter grades have a numerical value, called a Grade Point Value, which is used to calculate your grade point average (GPA). Your GPA is used to determine:
- whether you can remain enrolled in your degree program (academic standing)
- whether you can graduate
- your admissibility to other schools, other programs or for another degree after completion of your undergraduate degree
Calculate your GPA
In order to use the calculators you’ll need to be familiar with the terms below. For official definitions of the terms used in this section refer to the Grade Scale Definitions in the Undergraduate Calendar.
- Term Grade Point Average (GPA) : The grade point average for only those classes which are attempted in a single term.
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): The grade point average of all classes attempted after admission to Dalhousie. Changing degrees may impact how your CGPA is calculated. If you have questions, contact an academic advisor.
- Credit hours: The number of hours a class is worth. A half-credit class is typically worth 3 credit hours. A full credit class is typically worth 6 credit hours. If you withdraw from a class with a W or receive a grade of ILL, the class is worth 0 credit hours. Make sure you do not include these classes when you calculate how many credit hours you've attempted so far.
Enter your information:
What are my anticipated GPA and CGPA?
For the current term, I anticipate receiving the following grades:
What GPA do I need to reach a target CGPA?
How many extra credit hours do I need to reach a target CGPA?
Disclaimer: This GPA calculator is designed to help you estimate your grade point average. The GPA calculator is only applicable to undergraduate degrees. Your official cumulative and term grade point averages are located on your Academic Record. Always rely on the official grade point average reported on your Academic Record. The calculator does not take into account the university's policy on repeated classes. Please see Regulation 17.4 in the Academic Calendar for more details.