Back on Track Advising
Back on Track is an advising service provided to students who are currently on academic probation, or, are returning to Dalhousie after academic dismissal. Academic advisors help students explore the cause of their academic difficulty and assist them in developing a personalized action plan for success.
About the program
Your first one-on-one meeting with an academic advisor starts with a thorough assessment of the contributing factors to your academic performance. Some of which may include the following:
- Balancing between study time, independence, other time commitments
- Level of academic preparation, study skills
- Finding a major or program that suits your interests and abilities
- Personal concerns (e.g. health-related, family issues, financial matters)
Next, you will build an action plan and sign a form agreeing to the requirements for participation in the program. Your action plan may involve accessing other university services. You will meet with your academic advisor a minimum of three times per term to review your progress and make any adjustments necessary.
Benefits of the program
Most students have seen an increase in their term GPA (last term participants: a collective 37% increase). Additionally, you can expect to:
- have a better understanding of your academic and personal goals
- improve your skills in areas identified through the self-assessment
- develop strategies for future academic and personal success
- explore how your interests link to career options and academic programs
- identify and know how to access university support services (as needed)
If you’re ready to begin the Back on Track Advising program, contact the Academic Advising Office to make an appointment or send us an email with any questions you might have.