Why choose Russian Studies at Dal?
Nobel-winning poet Joseph Brodsky liked Nova Scotia. When he visited Dalhousie to read poetry, he said it reminded him of his homeland. He's not the first person to feel that connection. As the oldest Russian Studies program in Canada, we've been attracting students who want to study the language, history, literature and culture of Russia since 1944.
Our program gives you a thorough grasp of Russian grammar and a practical competence in speaking, reading and writing. Our classes in culture and civilization introduce you to the art, architecture, music and religious faiths of the Russian people. We offer many literature classes in English and Russian, to give as many students as possible the opportunity to become acquainted with this important part of Russian life.
Dalhousie started Canada's first Russian Study Abroad Program in Canada. Since 1974, many students have studied at Saint Petersburg State University. They travel the country, make Russian friends, and some even remain in Russia, finding employment as English teachers, working in business or in the media.
We celebrate Russian culture all year round. From the performances and food of our wildly popular Russian Night, to our Russian choir, poetry readings, guest speakers, or film and cooking clubs, you will find a way to connect to a language with a rich tradition and beauty.
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Concentration (3 years)
- Major/Double Major (4 years)
- Honours/Combined Honours (4 years)
- Available as a second subject to BSc students
Certificate of Proficiency in Russian
Required High School courses:
- 4 additional university preparatory courses
- Comparative Literature
- A second language
- Social Studies
See Admissions Requirements for more information.
- June 8, registration begins for new high school students
- September 5, classes begin, fall term
- December 5, exams begin
- See other important dates.
- First and second year class sizes are around 20-40 students.
- Upper level class sizes range between 5-15 students.
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing
- March 15: deadline for scholarship consideration for fall semester
- April 1: for international applicants
- June 1: for Canadian and American applicants
- August 15: Dalhousie students returning to the same program or visiting students
- See the full list of application deadlines for all programs here