Study at the Faculty of Agriculture in Truro
Located one hour from Halifax in Truro, NS, Dalhousie's Agricultural Campus is a great place to study, work and live.
Top 10 reasons to study Plant Science at Dalhousie:
- Go beyond traditional botany or plant biology: Our comprehensive program is unique in its approach to the growth and production of field and horticultural crops.
- Get a well-rounded education: You'll gain the right balance of skills, knowledge, work experience and reasoning, so you’re equipped to research and investigate problems related to food security and quality.
- Contribute to the solution: One of the world’s greatest challenges is finding ways to feed our planet’s fast-growing population, making plant science one of the most important disciplines to our future.
- Choose your specialty: We offer programs in all aspects of plant science, including agronomy, horticulture and ornamental horticulture, crop physiology, stress physiology and metabolism, cropping systems, neutraceuticals, bioactive compounds, and organic crop production.
- Learn on a real farm: Our Agricultural Campus, located an hour outside Halifax in Truro, features a fully operational, 200-hectare farm, with demonstration gardens, greenhouses, species collections, 100 hectares of commercial grain and forage production, and a 14-hectare natural woodlot.
- Get hands-on experience: We offer fully automated plant growth rooms, rhizotrons, tissue and cell culture laboratories, and state-of-the-art eco-physiological equipment.
- See the big picture: The Plant Science program focuses on the relationships among plants, soil, ecosystems and the environment, while providing an international perspective in both teaching and research through links with institutions abroad.
- Be business minded: With our strong entrepreneurial emphasis, you’ll learn skills that can help you to be your own boss.
- Learn today for a better tomorrow: You’ll discover our commitment to sustainable methods of agriculture.
- Develop industry partnerships: Our program encourages collaboration and initiatives with industries in various food sectors.